October 27, 2010

This is great!

I have to say, when I started running for the Petit Family Foundation in 2008 I never thought a team would come together this quickly. This is great stuff! I am very much looking forward to this group getting bigger and bigger. Hopefully we will be able to spark the interest of folks from all over the US. I know that's thinking big, but hey, why not?

As Meg alluded to in her earlier post, I ran track up at St. Lawrence University. Now, I was more aligned with the "field" portion of track and field, as Doc was. You would never catch me running anything over 2 miles. I was more comfortable jumping into sand or onto high jump pits. Not much distance training need for those two disciplines. I ended up running the 400m later on, but that was about the extent of my mileage. But, two knee surgeries and an ankle reconstruction later, my days of competitive jumping are over.

For those that know me, my energy levels are, well, high...So, I started running a few 5ks and got the running bug. Soon I was running up to 5 miles at a time, a feat for me, and started thinking about marathon running. Using Dr. Petit's words, "Help a neighbor, fight for a cause, love your family" as inspiration, I made it through the 2008 Marine Corps marathon...kind of unscathed. I will leave those details to another post. Since then, I have run several other races and folks have joined me. Two years later, we now have 15 members!

I very much look forward to watching this team grow and compete. The Hyannis Marathon Relay looks like our next target, so keep checking back for more details.

See you out on the roads!

-Brian